The 42nd running of the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon is shaping up to be the best one yet, with new features and running legends throughout the week’s events. The yearly traditions and race-day magic that surround the massive sporting event are what participants and spectators come to expect, but additions to the 2018 Mini-Marathon will offer new and unique elements of excitement!
As one of the largest half marathons in the nation, the Mini-Marathon garners athletes and notable figures who want a piece of the legendary event. Among a slew of elite participants who are set to toe the start line on May 5, some famed Olympians are on the docket for Indy Mini festivities! Don’t be surprised if you find yourself running alongside superstars like Tony Dungy, too!
- Meb Keflezighi – Greatest American distance runner in the history of the sport, Olympic medalist in the marathon distance, New York City Marathon winner and Boston Marathon winner.
- Alexi Pappas – Olympian and Greek national record-holder in the 10,000 meters.
- Andrew Peterson – Second Special Olympics athlete to qualify for the Boston Marathon and a local resident of the greater Indianapolis area.
- Frank Shorter – Only American athlete to win two medals in the Olympic Marathon. Shorter was running’s biggest star in the 1970s and 80s and the winner of the first-ever Mini-Marathon in 1977.
- Bill Rodgers – Olympian and four-time winner of the Boston Marathon, and the winner of the 1978 Mini-Marathon.
The 500 Festival is offering a way for you to remember the amazing accomplishment of finishing the Mini-Marathon! Participants will be able to have their finishing time etched into the finisher medal upon the completion of the race!
Crew members of the USS Indiana, SSN 789 will serve as the official Pacesetters for the 2018 OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon. Petty Officer Perez completed 13.1 miles in 1:52:00 flat. For each participant who finishes faster than the USS Indiana sailors, the 500 Festival will contribute $1 to charity.
Along the hallowed grounds of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the Gold Mile will feature a mile-long segment of the Indy Mini course that is dedicated to cultivating the patriotic and motivational spirit of Gold Star Families. Dressed in gold shirts, individuals will line the toughest peak of the course with American flags, pictures, banners, messages and sentimental items of their fallen heroes.
Check out the Expo schedule for celebrity meet & greets and autograph sessions!