As a part of the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, the Gold Mile pays tribute to fallen service members and their families (Gold Star Families). The Gold Mile experience allows Indy Mini participants to celebrate the lives of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and to connect with surviving family members of the fallen. An inspiring and motivational aspect of the IndyMini, we encourage virtual IndyMini participants to incorporate their own Gold Mile experience into their run or walk. One way participants can do this is by creating a route that passes war memorials. Below are some memorials and monuments across the city of Indianapolis, the state of Indiana, and the United States:
- USS Indianapolis CA 35 Memorial, Indianapolis, IN: Walnut St. & Senate Ave., Central Canal Indianapolis, IN 46202; outdoor site open to the public
- Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Indianapolis, IN: 1 Monument Cir, Indianapolis, IN 46204; outdoor site open to the public
- Indiana World War Memorial and Museum, Indianapolis, IN: 55. E. Michigan St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204; indoor museum but may run/walk past outdoor
- American Legion Mall, Indianapolis, IN: 700 N Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46204; outdoor site open to the public; assessible via Indianapolis Cultural Trail
- World War II Memorial, Indianapolis, IN: 700 N Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46204; outdoor site open to the public
- Korean War Memorial, Indianapolis, IN: 700 N Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46204; outdoor site open to the public
- Medal of Honor Memorial, Indianapolis, IN: 650 W Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46204; outdoor site open to the public
- Veteran’s Memorial Plaza, Indianapolis, IN: 501 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46204; outdoor site open to the public
- Indiana 9/11 Memorial, Indianapolis, IN: 421 W Ohio St, Indianapolis, IN 46202; outdoor site open to the public
- Four Freedoms Monument, Evansville, IN: 201 SE Riverside Dr, Evansville, IN 47713; outdoor site open to the public
- Tippecanoe Battlefield Park, Battle Ground, IN: 200 Battleground Ave, Battle Ground, IN 47920; outdoor site open to the public
- George Rogers Clark National Historic Park, Vincennes, IN: 401 S 2nd St, Vincennes, IN 47591; temporarily closed
- John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge, Jeffersonville, IN: I-65, Louisville, KY 40202
- National Mall, Washington DC; National Mall and Memorial Park Grounds remain open but pedestrian traffic may be restricted in certain areas of the National Mall
- 9/11 Memorial, New York City, NY: 180 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10007; Memorial temporarily closed
- Liberty Memorial, Kansas City, MO: 2 Memorial Dr, Kansas City, MO 64108; temporarily closed through April 24
- Statue of Liberty, New York City, NY: Liberty Island New York, NY 10004; temporarily closed
- Bunker Hill Monument, Boston, MA: Monument Sq., Charlestown, MA 02129; temporarily closed
- Marine Corps Memorial, Arlington, VA: Arlington, VA 22209
- Air Force Memorial, Arlington, VA; 1 Air Force Memorial Dr, Arlington, VA 22204; open to pedestrian access only
- USS Chicago Anchor, Chicago, IL: Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Ave., Chicago, IL.; Navy Pier temporarily closed to the public through April 23
- National D-Day Memorial, Bedford, VA: 3 Overlord Cir, Bedford, VA 24523, temporarily closed until April 23
- National Memorial Arch, Valley Forge, PA: 420 Gulph Rd, King of Prussia, PA 19406; Valley Forge National Historical Park is temporarily closed
Please note that recommendations from the CDC and local government mandates may prohibit some monuments from being open to the public. Please check with any site before visiting.
You can also download a Gold Mile Bib to wear in honor of a fallen soldier during your race.
Share your virtual Gold Mile with us on social media by using #IndyMini and tagging the 500 Festival. Good luck and thank you for helping us honor the incredible sacrifices of our military.